Wednesday 15 August 2012

Honeycomb Stairs Section

The Honeycomb Stair is not a very steep stair, it is supposed to be very easy going. This is enhanced by its width- it is almost twice the width of an average staircase. Actual honeycombs are sticky, hence why this stair is so easy to walk up, it is not supposed to be fallen off.
The honeycomb stairs are situated in the city and are inspired by the organic nature of the island.


It's strange looking at these stairs in section. In 3D the hexagons that create the honeycomb shape are so prominent in the design, yet of course in section you can't see that!
I feel like I've learnt a lot about ArchiCAD over the past week though! We're improving all the time!
I now need to fix up the proportions- the figure was just someone I photoshopped in from a photo, whereas I have now learnt from Manu how to insert a person from the ArchiCAD library. This will make the scale more clear. 
I also need to look at the stairs from different views so that the hexagons are more apparent and clear.
Below is my second development of the section:


Our second honeycomb stairs documentation sheet includes a section at 1:10 and a plan view at 1:20.
This is not a very steep stair, it is supposed to be very easy going. This is enhanced by its width- it is almost twice the width of an average staircase. Actual honeycombs are sticky, hence why this stair is so easy to walk up, it is not supposed to be fallen off.

We still need to develop this section. Ideally, the plan and section should be at the same scale so I will have to change this. Also I will run both the plan and section through a vector based program rather than Photoshop to improve the quality. It would be useful for me to learn how to use the layout sheets on ArchiCAD, so this will be how I will try to approach this. We also want to include a detail drawing of how the foot meets the stair, which Andy will do and which I will incorporate onto this layout sheet. 

We want to keep the black as a background not only because we find it quite aesthetic and it helps make our design stand out, but also because the black background symbolises the dystopian site and how this is juxtaposed against the stairs, which are, of course, an element of our utopian hotels.

No comments:

Post a Comment