Friday 13 July 2012

Design 1 Crit work

Here is some of my work from design from semester 1 first year. These are the final 12 images that I presented in my crit.

Andrew Barrie's workshop: a Paper Toolkit. We had to design a tramping hut by making a series of very quick, rough paper models. I finished with a tramping hut with a curved roof design as such buildings are often subject to adverse weather conditions and this way snow etc. will simply slide off the roofs to be easily cleared away at the base of the structure.

Sarah Treadwell's workshop: Explorative Process in Design. An abstract workshop where we developed some form of building (in my case a pigeon house) based on a series of 6 images we were initially given.

All of my models from Andrew Barrie's workshop.

Julia Gatley's workshop: Permutations of a Cube. In this workshop we were looking at Tschumi's Parc de la Villette as a precedent, and designing folly's of our own. Mine was about growth, and growing up. It was made of vertical columns of many different sizes, to symbolise growth. A ramped pathway spirals between the columns, but it only has a 1m height, meaning that adults must crawl up the folly. It is only once they reach the top, where there is nothing above their head, that they can stand, as in they've 'grown up'. Since this would be quite tiring there are also platforms throughout for people to rest and to allow people traveling in different directions to pass one another. As the folly is built into a hill, it is also possible to start at different points. At the top, only one column is taller than the person; this symbolises that a person never truly finishes growing up...

Here is my final pigeon house design for Sarah Treadwell's workshop.

A section of my final pigeon house design. There are two entrances, at the top and side of the structure. The spiral 'nest' at the top has amplifying qualities so that bird song is enhanced. There are perches throughout and a ladder allows human access for cleaning.

Uwe Rieger's workshop: Super span studio. Here are some detailed shots of my team's finished model. The tessellation of hexagonal based pyramids and diamonds gives this structure not only aesthetic appeal, but also incredible strength for a model constructed with straws.

More shots of our model. It was constructed entirely out of straws, split pins and cable ties. It's 3 spindly legs are able to support the structure due to cross bracing and the fact that we stuffed straws within one another, so that what looks like one straw is in fact 3.

Some initial drawings to explore my ideas for Sarah Treadwell's workshop.

Some close-up shots of my final model for Andrew Barrie's workshop.

Some close-up shots of my folly model for Julia Gatley's workshop.

I photoshopped my team's model from Uwe Rieger's workshop to exaggerate its scale and give it a setting.

I was very pleased once I had finished and printed all this work! Part 1 of my architectural adventure is now over, now onto the second semester of my first year!

No comments:

Post a Comment